Highlighted
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

SFM Help

Jump to solution

I need to add a field to my create work order  SFM.  The information is already on my account page  and need to to be a lookup from accounts.   I am new to service max and need help.

Thanks,

ST

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Re: SFM Help

Jump to solution

Not sure if this will work for you, but depending on the field information from your Account page that you want on your work order, you could just use a formula field on the work order to pull the information through automatically. You won't need to get into the SFM to do that.

For example, say you have a name in the salesman field on the Account, and it's a pick list value. You want that same information on the work order without having to re-enter it:

1. Create a new formula field on the work order. Select Formula as the data type. Click next.

2. Select Text as the formula return type since you want to capture the value from the pick list on the account object as text.Click next.

3. Click the Advanced Formula tab (don't stress about that word Advanced).

- Select Text from the Functions listing box, then click Insert Selected Function. You should see TEXT (value) now in the formula box.

- Remove the word (value) from in between the () and leave your cursor in between them.

- Now click the Insert Field button. You'll get a 2 column window of fields to choose from; Work Order will be the default in the first column. From the second column, click the Account> to navigate to the Account object. A third column opens in the       window showing you the fields on the Account object. Click on the field (in this example) Salesman. The final column of the window will show the API name of the Salesman field. Click the Insert button to add that field to your formula.       

- Use the Check Syntax button to check your formula.

- Don't neglect to fill in the Description and Help Text fields (be kind to your users and whomever may come after you as the Admin!).

- Click Next.

4. This is where you get to select who gets to see the new field based on Profiles. By default, formula fields are Read Only. Note, however, that if the Salesman field value is changed on the Account, it will update automatically on the Work Order.         This is OK for this situation, but I don't know what your exact situation is, so think that part through. Click Next. Almost done now, hang in there.

5. This is where you choose what page layout to show the new field on. Click save.

6. You will need to pop over to the page layout to move the new field to where you really want to see it on the page.

Yay! You now have the Salesman name from the Account field listed in the Salesman field on the Work Order. And you didn't have to use the SFM to do that. Not that I have anything against the SFM, mind you.

Examples of Advanced Formula Fields  is a good reference to take a look at.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Line Chef
Line Chef

Jump to solution

You might have to clone the work order standard SFM (I believe its WorkOrder from Account) and then add the field in the screen designer section of the new cloned SFM.

Do remember to add the SFM in the Wizard.

0 Likes
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Not sure if this will work for you, but depending on the field information from your Account page that you want on your work order, you could just use a formula field on the work order to pull the information through automatically. You won't need to get into the SFM to do that.

For example, say you have a name in the salesman field on the Account, and it's a pick list value. You want that same information on the work order without having to re-enter it:

1. Create a new formula field on the work order. Select Formula as the data type. Click next.

2. Select Text as the formula return type since you want to capture the value from the pick list on the account object as text.Click next.

3. Click the Advanced Formula tab (don't stress about that word Advanced).

- Select Text from the Functions listing box, then click Insert Selected Function. You should see TEXT (value) now in the formula box.

- Remove the word (value) from in between the () and leave your cursor in between them.

- Now click the Insert Field button. You'll get a 2 column window of fields to choose from; Work Order will be the default in the first column. From the second column, click the Account> to navigate to the Account object. A third column opens in the       window showing you the fields on the Account object. Click on the field (in this example) Salesman. The final column of the window will show the API name of the Salesman field. Click the Insert button to add that field to your formula.       

- Use the Check Syntax button to check your formula.

- Don't neglect to fill in the Description and Help Text fields (be kind to your users and whomever may come after you as the Admin!).

- Click Next.

4. This is where you get to select who gets to see the new field based on Profiles. By default, formula fields are Read Only. Note, however, that if the Salesman field value is changed on the Account, it will update automatically on the Work Order.         This is OK for this situation, but I don't know what your exact situation is, so think that part through. Click Next. Almost done now, hang in there.

5. This is where you choose what page layout to show the new field on. Click save.

6. You will need to pop over to the page layout to move the new field to where you really want to see it on the page.

Yay! You now have the Salesman name from the Account field listed in the Salesman field on the Work Order. And you didn't have to use the SFM to do that. Not that I have anything against the SFM, mind you.

Examples of Advanced Formula Fields  is a good reference to take a look at.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

View solution in original post

0 Likes