I've created a new SFM transaction (document output) by cloning an existing transaction. I edited the document template, saved the template and transaction and everything is working fine.
I can run the transaction and generate the output document (PDF) as expected everything works well.
However, I've made a few changes to the document template, saved it, saved the transaction - test the changes and repeat.
Now all of a sudden I go into the template designer and the template has reverted back to empty (except showing [object][Object])
The transaction is still working fine but I can't make any changes to the template (or save any changes to the transaction) or it will revert to empty.
Please help. I really don't want to have to start my document template from scratch again.
I am somewhat new to ServiceMax. But as I was developing our Field Service Report outputs I too saw this and was just able to reselect it and save the SFM to restore it.
Hi Cameron Fowles,
I have the same problem when creating an output document SFM. We have been using servicemax for over 2 years now and this issue only appeared after we recently upgraded to Winter 16 SP version last month.
Annoyingly for me Melynda King's fix does not work as the template is not selectable from the dropdown on the template designer. This dropdown is actually blank. Even stranger is that if you then try to save the template with the same ID as the lost one an error message appears asking you to use a different ID name as that template ID already exists.
I was concerned that we would loose all our output documents in the same way so I copied the source code and now have it backed up externally as seperate HTML files. It was a good thing I did this because a few days later I made some modifications in our sandbox to an output doc and after saving and going back in the entire template had been lost and just displayed [object][Object].
I have raised a case for servicemax tech support to investigate. I will let you know what the outcome is.
Was SM Support ever able to resolve this issue or tell you what was going on? I spent hours on Friday building, editing, and testing a template and when I went to save it one final time, the save button was unresponsive and the template was gone after I "saved and closed" and went back to it. So...I started over only to have it happen to me again! I have other documents to work on, but I'm afraid to even start and waste my time. Any insight they've given you would be appreciated. Thanks!
I never got to the bottom of why this happens. Servicemax support were investigating but I've not had any response on a fix yet.
as per Aidan's post , I too was receiving a duplicate template error message but didn't get as far as him in applying a fix.
I have since moved to do all my output document / html creation / editing in an external standalone application (Netbeans with a wysiwyg plugin)
I use the SFM output designer to get the field API names and then paste my code into the template. That way if it does get wiped , I can simply re-paste the code.
This has an added benefit in that I am now keeping a copy of the source code for all our output documents and editing in Netbeans is better for me.
Hopefully thought this is fixed in the Summer 16 release which we will upgrade to soon.
I also had this problem and it turned out to be a problem of duplicates being created. (Don't know how exactly). However, when the duplicates were deleted, the templates reappeared in the drop-down list.
Here is how I found them:
1. I searched for the SFM name (Client 1 Service Checklist Output Document) in global search
2. This returned a ServiceMax process with process number PN-0000003414
3. Now we cannot access the doc templates directly from here but we can run a report to see the doc template ID
4. So create a new report, within quick find I looked for 'Servicemax processes' which is found under other reports
5. I select that and hit create
6. Under show I select "All ServiceMax Processes" and I drag the field "Doc template" over to my preview window to add the column to my results
7. In filters area I dragged ServiceMax Process: Process Number and after the equals box I put PN-0000003414 and hit ok
8. If I now run the report I get a link to the doc template and here is where I can see if I have duplicates under doc template details
9. I found there were four entries, so I looked at the most recent ones and deleted the other two. This allowed the template to now appear in the drop down when I edited the SFM "Client 1 Service Checklist Output Document".
I found more processes by taking a guess and searching in the global search for "Client 2 Service Checklist Output Document". This gave several process numbers. I went in and deleted a few more duplicates using the same method.
2 thing to note:
1) As the cause is still unknown, I (too) still keep a library of text files for the HTML of each template, as this is still a much faster way of editing a template that has disappeared.
2) I can not take all of the credit for getting this solution, as Adrian from ServiceMax Support was instrumental in figuring it out! Thanks Adrian Nicholl !