Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Flow Wizard for Custom Object

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Service Flow Wizard for Custom Object

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a custom object created and has two fields that have look up's to Installed Product and Work Order.created stand alone SFM transaction to create new records using SFM transaction for the custom object.I have two questions as below.

1  Need to create a new SFM wizard by selecting the Custom object in the Object availability list.How to enable the custom object to appear in the Pick List.

2  If not possible,need to add the SFM transactions built on custom object from the Work Order SFM Wizard.

Please let me know if above things are possible.

Best

Ravi

Message 1 of 6
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Service Flow Wizard for Custom Object

Jump to solution

Ravi,

The "standalone for the purpose of creating a new record" SFM Transaction type is typically used to enable record creation from our mobile application where the context of a parent object isn't logical or requires too many clicks. Because there is no parent object for context, those SFM Transactions can't be added to an SFM Wizard. Rather, they are made available through a special "create new" menu in ServiceMax Mobile. I think this may explain why you're unable to select your custom object when trying to create a custom SFM Wizard - there are no eligible SFM transactions for that object.

However, if I understand the data model you explained above, your custom object has a lookup to the Installed Product and Work Order objects. If your use case will allow for a user to create a custom object record from either the work order or the installed product then we can make this work. You would need to create a new SFM Transaction whose Type is "from Source object to create new header and child records". You would select either Work Order or Installed Product as  your source ("Use data from...") and select your custom object as the target ("...to create these records") then define the appropriate qualifying criteria, field mapping and screen design for that transaction. Once you've saved the new SFM transaction, you should be able to add it to either a Work Order or Installed Product SFM Wizard (depending on which source object you chose for the transaction).

Does that answer your question(s)?

Message 2 of 6
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Ravi,

The "standalone for the purpose of creating a new record" SFM Transaction type is typically used to enable record creation from our mobile application where the context of a parent object isn't logical or requires too many clicks. Because there is no parent object for context, those SFM Transactions can't be added to an SFM Wizard. Rather, they are made available through a special "create new" menu in ServiceMax Mobile. I think this may explain why you're unable to select your custom object when trying to create a custom SFM Wizard - there are no eligible SFM transactions for that object.

However, if I understand the data model you explained above, your custom object has a lookup to the Installed Product and Work Order objects. If your use case will allow for a user to create a custom object record from either the work order or the installed product then we can make this work. You would need to create a new SFM Transaction whose Type is "from Source object to create new header and child records". You would select either Work Order or Installed Product as  your source ("Use data from...") and select your custom object as the target ("...to create these records") then define the appropriate qualifying criteria, field mapping and screen design for that transaction. Once you've saved the new SFM transaction, you should be able to add it to either a Work Order or Installed Product SFM Wizard (depending on which source object you chose for the transaction).

Does that answer your question(s)?

Message 2 of 6
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Jump to solution

Thanks Chris for your detailed explanation.My requirement is unique over here.I have to use the fields from Custom Object as a header section and also there are work flow field updates and validations on those columns.I could create the source SFM's from wither IP or Work Order and use the headers if an only if ,i have reference fields from custom object present in source objects and this can be achieved with formula fields.But this may nullify the work flow fields updates and may have to write the triggers to achieve the existing functionality as if they become cross reference .Being said with these complexities ,i may want to use the standard salesforce VF pages and may leave out the option of creating SFM's for this.

Message 3 of 6
0 Likes

Jump to solution

Ravi,

I suppose we'd need to understand a bit more about your use case in order to fully appreciate whether or not an SFM will satisfy the requirements. Generally speaking, if Visualforce and/or workflow field updates would be used to populate data FROM Work Order or Installed Product TO your custom object then you could accomplish the same with an SFM field mapping (or a combination of field mapping and workflow field updates). Likewise, if you have specific validation which must be applied to the custom object fields, the SFM engine will honor those existing SFDC validation rules but you could explore the use of ServiceMax SFM validation logic instead. The benefit of using our validation logic is that our mobile application will enforce that validation even when offline (vs. SFDC validation which is only enforced when online, upon sync with the server).

Message 4 of 6
Employee
Employee

Jump to solution

While Chris has responded with details about SFM transaction configuration options, here are a couple of points about SFM Wizards:

• Though SFM transactions of type Standalone Create are listed in Create New (New Item in Winter 15 iPad app) screen, they can technically be configured as SFM Wizard Steps also for the same header object.
  • Invoking a Standalone Create SFM transaction by clicking the associated SFM Wizard button (Action menu item in Winter 15 iPad app) works the same way as it does from Create New screen.
  • In SFM Wizard Designer home page, object picklist lists only those objects for which at least one SFM Wizard (standard or custom) has been configured already.
  • To create the first SFM Wizard for any object, select --None-- in the object picklist in SFM Wizard Designer home page, click the New button in the Custom SFM Wizards section, and then select the required object from the object picklist in the wizard creation page.

Note: For an object to be listed in the object picklist in wizard creation page, you must have configured an SFM transaction (of any type other than View Record), an Inventory Process, or an SFM Custom Action for that object.

Message 5 of 6
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Jump to solution

Meenakshi,

Your reply really is outstanding. Thank you so much, it helped me understand the relationship between custom objects and SFM wizard designer.

Message 6 of 6