cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Employee
Employee

Re: Spring '18 - Duplicate Field Error on SFM Load

https://userdocs.servicemax.com/ServiceMaxHelp/183/en_us/svmxhlp.htm#security.htm

Enforcement of CRUD and FLS in ServiceMax 18.3

&

Upgrade Considerations

GE Digital recommends that you take the following points in to consideration before upgrading to this release:

1. It is recommended that you upgrade to 18.3 first in a sandbox, with GBL031 set to TRUE for the active global ServiceMax configuration profile. Then execute a complete end-to-end testing of all the business processes, covering both configuration and delivery screens.
  2. If you encounter any issues, you can change the GBL031 value to FALSE to confirm that it is because of the security enhancements. Then update the CRUD and FLS settings for the affected Salesforce profiles, to provide access to the required objects and fields. Update the setting to TRUE again and re-execute the failed tests.
  3. If GBL031 is already set to FALSE in your existing ServiceMax org, upgrade to 18.3 will not change the setting value. However, GE Digital strongly recommends performing the steps 1 and 2 specified above to verify the CRUD and FLS permissions as soon as possible, and use the FALSE setting only as a temporary measure until permission issues are resolved.
Message 51 of 57
0 Likes
Pastry Chef mmajerus6
Pastry Chef

Hello Omar Rodriguez​. Thank you for posting this.

I wanted to get further clarity about this new setting. In Salesforce, if the user does not have View access to a field, it doesn't show up on the SFDC page layout. Likewise, the field is also not visible on the SFM page layout. That is consistent based on the field's FLS.

The difference comes during an edit to the record. In Salesforce, the user can use the native 'Edit' button on the Salesforce page layout to edit a different field on a Work Order without receiving an error.

However, with the 18.3 ServiceMax Update, we receive an error when trying to edit the same Work Order record using an SFM. This seems strange, as the user is not trying to edit the field for which they do not have access. They are editing a different field and trying to save the SFM. Is this intended behavior?

I believe the purpose of this new feature is to respect the Salesforce permissions in ServiceMax, but this seems to be a big difference in how record Edits are managed in relation to FLS. This means that from now on, any profile which accesses an SFM needs at least View access to every single field being referenced in that SFM even though they are not editing that field. The strategy of selectively hiding fields on the SFM page layouts for some profiles using FLS would not be possible anymore and will take a good deal of analysis and rework to clean up across all SFMs.

To note: our SFM page layouts are Global, but regionally, some fields on the SFM page layouts are strategically made not visible using FLS for the region's profile. We have done this in lieu of duplicating SFMs regionally.

Anita D'SouzaLisa MercerBrittany Taylor​ bio-rad​  field level security​  predix servicemax fsm 18.3​ 18.3​

Message 52 of 57
0 Likes
Product Team
Product Team

Hi Michael Majerus​ - Could you please clarify the setting value for GBL031 when you encounter this error? Also, is there a case# for this so that I can follow-up internally on the current behavior w.r.t FLS?

Just to clarify, issue related to duplicate API on SFM Delivery has been resolved and a patch fix for the same is available for 18.3 and 18.2 versions.

Lisa MercerShivaranjini Gangadharappa

Message 53 of 57
Pastry Chef mmajerus6
Pastry Chef

Hello Anita D'Souza​. Thanks for looking into this! We initially had GLB031 set to 'True' per the SMax default after the 18.3 upgrade. When this was true, we were experiencing issues with FLS access in the SFM even though the field was not being edited while in the SFM.

It seems that with this SMax setting set to true, if a field is on the SFM page layout, but the user does not have 'View' FLS access, the SFM will open correctly, but the user cannot update any fields in the SFM and save successfully. Per my previous post, this is different behavior than the FLS in SFDC which will allow a user to 'Edit' fields on a Work Order and save successfully.

I think the SFM engine should both respect FLS and allow the same editing access to all fields for which FLS is defined for the user to access. It should not stop the editing of other fields for which the user does have access. This seems to be the behavior that we were seeing when the GLB031 was set to true.

Lisa MercerBrittany TaylorOmar Rodriguez​ bio-rad​ fls​ permissions​

Message 54 of 57
Product Team
Product Team

Thanks for the details, Michael. Could you also provide me the Case# as this sounds like a defect related to FLS and I would like to follow-up with Engg.? Thanks!!

Shivaranjini GangadharappaLisa Mercer - FYI.

Message 55 of 57
0 Likes
Pastry Chef mmajerus6
Pastry Chef

Hello Anita D'Souza​. Sorry for the delay, I was out of the office for a few days. The case number that we logged with Support is: 00074042. It's now closed because we disabled the Global Setting, but if this is really a defect and can be resolved, then we would most-likely re-enable it.

Lisa Mercer​ bio-rad​

Message 56 of 57
Employee
Employee

Hello Michael Majerus,

Good to say hi again.

I have just saw this post now.  I will be following up with you from case 00074621.   (Dont forget to send me an email next time or responding in a closed case for a faster response ).

Message 57 of 57
0 Likes