[ENTER TO WIN] Monthly Community Goal: February

Community Manager
Community Manager
9 55 1,596

Update: 

Our customer winner is @scott_willis! Thanks everyone for participating - we look forward to having more challenges in our relaunched Community! :) 

And just like that, January is gone! Have you made any progress on your 2019 goals?

One of my focuses this year is learning the basics of cooking. I've started out pretty strong - I signed up for a six week cooking class program. Each week we focus on a new topic like knife skills, stocking your pantry, and the art of seasoning, etc.

I haven't just been food-focused in my free time, but we've been cooking up something really exciting here at ServiceMax in our community. We've already shared that we are investigating ways to improve your experience here in the community. We've got great early adopters on board to provide more feedback and be involved in the design of our next generation community for customers and field service experts.

We've also asked you to provide feedback to ServiceMax teams via our NPS program. Our recipe for success involved the customer voice, and a network powered by accomplished experts who have the know how to help us all be successful.

Your community activity, feedback, and requests have been key ingredients in what we've been working on. We're so close to revealing our plans for enhancing your customer experience, using technology, new initiatives, and, most importantly, your voice. Please look out for an exciting blog post in the coming weeks.

In the meantime, we'd love to hear about the dishes you enjoying whipping up this year.

What's your favorite thing to cook? Why? Where did you learn?

Everyone who comments below, sharing their favorite thing to make, will be entered to win one $200 Blue Apron, HelloFresh, GrubHub or another food delivery service gift card of your choice!

To spice things up a bit, (how many cooking puns is too many puns?), everyone who includes a photo of their dish will receive an extra entry. Your last day to comment will be February 28, 2019, so don't forget! We'll contact the winner directly, as well as comment on this post.

Since we have ServiceMax customers, partners, and employees all over the world, I look forward to reading your responses, and maybe trying out a few new recipes!

55 Comments
Employee
Employee

My favorite thing to cook is actually a Blue Apron recipe: Spicy Pork and Korean Rice Cakes.

It's an easy recipe featuring some of my favorite foods - pork, garlic, black bean sauce. After the prep work, you just keep adding to the skillet, or wok til you get a huge thing of delicious food. And it's even better the next day. Some of the ingredients aren't that easy to come by if you don't have a Korean or Asian grocery nearby, but it is worth trying out.Spicy Korean Pork.jpg

Employee
Employee

I've been on the Instant Pot kick for the last several months and although I feel like I'm still in the experimenting phase, it's made my life a whole lot easier. I've made things like Butter Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke dip, Buffalo Chicken dip, White Bean & Chicken soup, and a variety of other things. My favorite dish out of the IP would have to be the Butter Chicken. I am able to throw everything in the pot and it came out extremely soft. Mind you, making it on the stove definitely has its advantages since it can simmer for much longer, but for a Mom-on-the-go, you can't top the IP version!

Employee
Employee

My favorite thing to make is buffalo chicken lettuce cups. It's a great mixture of quality ground chicken or turkey (with buffalo sauce of your choice) and a variety of toppings you can add. I usually stick with carrot slices and some avocado. It's a great source of protein, while keeping carbs to a minimum. Hope this inspires someone to go give it a try. Our friends & family really enjoy them when they come over for lunch/dinner.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Okay, I'll go! My most recent cooking obsession has been focused on Pho Ga - Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup. I love Pho and I wanted to try to master making it myself. It's really the broth I've been focusing in on. I've made it a half dozen times since November, including on Christmas Day, which I got to host. It was... pretty good. I think (hope!) it's getting better and better. Key step and game-changer is the charred ginger and unpeeled onion at the start.

Classic Chicken Pho (*Phở Gà*) recipe | Epicurious.com

I don't have a picture of it to show! But here's some of the family doing karaoke, pre-pho!

pre pho.jpg

Recipe was reposted on Epicurious From The Pho Cookbook: Easy to Adventurous Recipes for Vietnam's Favorite Soup and Noodles © 2017 by Andrea Nguyen.

Employee
Employee

My favorite thing to cook is one of my go to food after a night of drinking. It is called Sinigang na Baboy (Pork Sour Soup)​. It is a Filipino dish and I just love how the sourness and the sweetness of the soup comes together and really gives you that boost of life and clears all those alcohol away.

Employee
Employee

Years ago, I had the great good fortune to live in an Italian neighborhood, and my landlady Tessie, who lived upstairs from me, took me under her wing and taught me how to cook authentic Italian food. Italian cooking is a labor of love, and cooking in general is a huge passion for me. I adore this style of cooking because I love the emphasis on beautiful fresh food and amazing flavors. The recipes I learned from Tessie remain my favorites today...Marinara (made with fresh tomatoes, whoa!), fresh hand-rolled pasta, Osso Buco, Canneloni, Ravioli, Lasagna, Spaghetti Carbonara, Fettucine Alfreso, Eggplant Parmigiana...the list goes on and on. My absolute #1 favorite is Shrimp Fra Diavolo, a verrry spicy and utterly delicious concoction. Emeril's recipe is nearly identical to the one my landlady taught me, and takes only about 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Enjoy!

Employee
Employee

Chicken Parmesan!  Thin sliced chicken breasts dredged in egg and a mix of bread crumbs, powdered parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper and fried in olive oil and garlic.  Sprinkle shredded mozzarella after you flip and cover the pan.   Goes great with a little bit of angel hair pasta and broccolini!

Employee
Employee

I tried a great Instant Pot Butter Chicken recipe, so simple and easy I do need to get working on my own Garam Masala mix at some point, the one I can get in HEB is pretty good though!

Employee
Employee

Although this sounds fancy, it's actually a really fun, easy, and versatile thing to make; Pâte à Choux (basically, cream puff dough)! I love this dough because you actually make it on the stove, and the process goes by so fast that it can be whipped up in less than 30 minutes. Plus, you can easily make so many things with the dough itself. From cream puffs, to eclairs, to Gougères (cheese puffs), to even churros! Once you master this dough, you'll be prepared for any event!

Pâte à Choux Recipe | Food & Wine

Employee
Employee

What:

My favorite thing to cook is reverse-seared steak! I appreciate all cuts, but am partial to Filet Mignon or New York Strip.

Why:

Reversed-searing steak differs from other cooking methods as it maximizes a chemical reaction (dubbed the "Malliard Reaction") to ensure the ultimate crispiness of the exterior of the meat.

Where:

I mastered my method, which involves finishing the steak in a cast iron pan in a roaring hot oil bath from the writings of J. Kenji Lopez-Alt, genius author of The Food Lab and the website SeriousEats.

I'd love to share more about my *patented* method the next time we chat!

Employee
Employee

I had a lot of fun this last Thanksgiving smoking a turkey on my Kamado grill, spatchcocking (taking out the spine and flattening it so it cooks more evenly) such a large bird was a challenge for sure! Other fun meals include chili con carne (with beans, even though i'm in Texas), curries & stews - I love using my cast iron dutch oven.

I've also got some sous-vide equipment and make use of that regularly to slow cook tougher cuts of meat (think chuck, shank, shoulder) making them incredibly tender. It's a great tool, especially when combined with a hot grill to add a nice bit of char to the outside.

Employee
Employee

When I'm not cooking up delicious full course ServiceMax solutions for our most amazing ServiceMax customers, one of my favorite dishes and most recent recipes is smoked lobster. I start with lobster and marinate it in a nice garlic butter sauce. I use a blend of Apple and Cherry wood in the smoker and soak the wood chips overnight so when you put them in the smoker they produce the best smoke flavor. Since my smoker is a water cooker I put 10 ounces of my own home made Blackberry wine with brown sugar, bourbon and other secret ingredients in the water. As the lobster is smoking I brush garlic butter on it during the cook. Smoked lobster is absolutely mind blowing compared to other methods like boiling or grilling because the texture of the lobster is like nothing you have ever had before. I recommend pairing the lobster with one of my wines, but if you don’t have a bottle of my wine handy then I recommend a nice Chardonnay with vanilla notes. Cheers!!

smoked lobster.jpg

smoked lobster2.jpg

Employee
Employee

My favorite thing to cook currently is a Mac'N Cheese Bake with Broccoli. The best part about it, it is completely made from scratch. Cooking is very therapeutic to me and the way I learned how cook this dish is 100% trial and error. I kept trying to get the right consistency for the cheese as well as the right combination of spices for a little kick. Adding chicken is my next attempt as I think that will add a little boost. It pairs perfectly with a nice glass of wine and is the perfect comfort food. IMG_20180714_233555.jpg

Employee
Employee

My favorite thing to cook is my Homemade Egg Fried Rice with Orange Chicken or General Tso Chicken. I love it because it is one of my favorite things to eat but it's also something my family loves to eat as well. My kids ask me to cook this meal at their birthdays b/c it's so good. I first learned out to cook this because one day I had a craving. I looked up online how to do it and taught myself through an online recipe. Over the years I've altered it hear or there and now it's Dad's Fried Rice Meal!

Employee
Employee

With game day temperatures predicted in the -5 F range, I'm reaching for my favorite soup recipe. My family was never a fan of stuffed green peppers until I sampled the soup at a local restaurant. I've tried a few different recipes and our favorite is the one from Taste of Home​. There is just enough green pepper to add the flavor without overpowering everything. Of course, in my neck of the woods we substitute venison or elk for the hamburger !

Employee
Employee

Greetings from Ireland. POTATOES - Any which way. That is all !

Line Chef samantha_dodd
Line Chef

So I have 2 favourite things that I like to cook, one savoury and one sweet. The savoury item is an Individual Beef Wellington and the sweet item is a british classic of a Victoria Sponge cake.

The reason the Beef Wellington is one of my favourites is because it is the first meal i cooked for my now husband, 7 years later and we are now married! So it's right what they say, the way to a man's heart is through his Stomach.

The reason for the Victoria Sponge cake is because it is so easy to make and was the first cake I ever baked and it turned out pretty well!Beef Wellington.jpgVictoria Sponge.jpg

Line Chef indira_harchand
Line Chef

I don't really have a favorite thing to cook, but some things my family enjoy are jo mamma's spaghetti and chicken lettuce wraps.  I have healthier versions of both of them, using ingredients like quinoa pasta, healthier meats (grass fed, ground turkey/chicken), and coconut aminos in place of soy sauce.  While my husband eats almost anything and enjoys it, my daughter is extremely picky and she loves both of these.  The chicken lettuce wraps take about 30 mins to have a meal on the table which is awesome on a weeknight.  The pasta takes a couple of hours on the other hand for the sauce to simmer, so i generally make that on a weekend, and cook the pasta fresh on the evening i want to serve it.

Employee
Employee

Typically Aussies are known for barbecues, but I have to say that I met the king of barbecuing while working on the Bridgestone Project in Perth in January of this year. Ted Gordon​ showed me some photos of his barbecuing exploits, cooking for hundreds of people at various events.

Ted Gordon from PS you are the man!!!

Employee
Employee

I love cooking and I make sure I save some time in my calendar to cook everyday. This is a nice time to experiment, think and make sure we are well nourished! Recently I learnt in a cooking class how to make Gobi Manchurian, which is an Indian version of Chinese food. I discovered that dish when traveling in India in Kolkata. It is sweet and sour but the cauliflower is crispy. I also love cooking French food, Italian, Asian.... Cooking is a nice way of traveling and explore other cultures through their dishes.

The key is to have the right ingredients and to have the right tools and equipment for cooking! I use Le Creuset, and some nice pans and pots, and it really makes the difference.

Picture1.png

Employee
Employee

What

I love to cook lasagne!  Proper home made lasagne, on a bed of baby leaf spinach and with some garlic bread.

Why

It just tastes amazing, the leftovers always taste even better than the first helping and it's so easy to just stick a portion in the microwave for the next day so you can keep on enjoying it.

Where

My mum taught me to make lasagne and then I went one up and improved the recipe.  The key thing we do right that the restaurants fail at is a proper white sauce on the top.  You cannot just melt cheese on it and call it lasagne, thats just nasty.

Recipe:

Put a bit of oil into the bottom of a pan and then fry some crushed garlic, maybe 3 cloves.

Then put in 500g of minced beef and 2 chopped onions

Cook until the beef is browned

Add a can of chopped tomatoes, a couple tea spoons of tomato puree (I usually end up doing more, this is the secret ingredient by the way that my mum didn't know about.  It really sweetens it up.),

Add a couple teaspoons of oragano

Add some more stuff, I usually do a finely chopped carrot and sweet potato.

Keep this simmering for around 10-20 minutes.  It's not rocket science.  You use this time to make the white sauce, so as soon as the white sauce is done, the timer is up.

Put in a large dollop of butter into a pan. Or margarine if you are on a diet (if you are on a diet you probably shouldn't cook this at all).  Melt the butter!

Once the butter is melted, sprinkle in plain flour and stir it as you add flour.  You'll end up with something that resembles a big play doh ball.  Once you've got this you are onto the next step.

Add a little milk at a time and stir.  Don't add too much at a time and make sure it is thoroughly stirred at every point.  Keep doing this until you have a creamy sauce.

Once the sauce is creamy, then add a bowl of grated cheddar cheese.

Now crack an egg into it and have your buddy keep stirring while you do the next part.

Grab an oven dish and put a thin layer of meet sauce into the dish. 

Add a layer of Lasagne Verdi pasta sheets

Add another thin layer of meet sauce

Add a layer of Lasagne Verdi pasta sheets

Add another thin layer of meet sauce

Add a layer of Lasagne Verdi pasta sheets, try to close off any gaps.

Finally add the white sauce and make sure it covers the whole lasagne.

Cook in the fan assisted oven at 180c for 20min.

Take it out and ENJOY!

Any left over lasagna or meet sauce can be stored in the fridge for a couple of days or the freezer to be enjoyed later.

Employee
Employee

My favorite cooking time of the year is Christmas and my favorite thing to bake are Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies! They bring back memories of Christmas baking as a child. The hardest task now is finding somebody who I can trick into the tedious job of unwrapping all of the Hershey Kisses! My nieces now bake these with me every year.

Employee
Employee

We need to post a picture of you cooking the potatoes during our cooking class!

Employee
Employee

I'm expecting you to bring this into the office the next time I'm over.  Yummy!

Employee
Employee

They look amazing! I also expect to try these next time I am in the office Lisa Mercer !!!

Employee
Employee

One word -- BORSCHT! It's a Russian soup made with enough beets, tomatoes, and cabbage to beat all your antioxidant and dieting goals. Made from scratch, it takes about 4 hours to put this beast together, and it can last for 2 weeks in the fridge. And the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes. Have it with some greens and a dollop of sour cream. Nothing tastes better on a cold winter day! Yummy, or as they say in Russian, nyam-nyam.MVIMG_20180122_142048.jpg

Sushi Chef scott_willis
Sushi Chef

Red Beans & Rice - Growing up in New Orleans, this "Slow Cooked on Sunday; Enjoyed on Monday" staple is one that dictates an understanding of all Creole cooking. The mantra, "you can always add too much salt, but you can never add too much seasoning", is one that stands the test of time. Slow cooking while ya made Sunday supper and cleaned the house, it's aroma will have ya ready to call breakfast lunch on a Monday morning.

You couldn't pay me to go back to New Orleans, but this dish brings me there every time. You do it just right and the beans become an unidentifiable cream of savory decadence with a way of having just the right amount of heat for any palette.

Ya gotta make sho deres one pounda meat fa ev'ry pounda beans, and wid all da rite seasnin. slow cook all nite.

Employee
Employee

I love this! My cooking game is pretty weak but I love to bake. My favorite thing to bake is cheesecake. I'm from NY and everyone knows that the best cheesecake comes from NY. My uncle used to take me to Junior's Cheesecake in Brooklyn every Christmas because it wouldn't be Christmas without it. When I moved to upstate NY, my sister's and I were on a mission to make the perfect cheesecake and we've come pretty darn close.

Employee
Employee

OMG this looks AMAZING!!!!!!

Employee
Employee

This is one of my favorite dishes, looks great!

Employee
Employee

I was a cook in the military for 13 years so I really don't like to cook and when I do I make wayyyyyyyy too much! But I love Fried Rice and since living here in Kentucky I have not found a place that makes good Chinese food, so I had to make it myself. This batch is chicken and shrimp fried rice.

IMG_0050.jpg

Employee
Employee

I'm definitely not a cook, but I can follow a recipe like a Champ.  My family's go-to meal that they request that I make for birthday celebrations is Chicken Enchiladas, with Flour instead of Corn tortillas and plenty of chicken inside!!

Also, my specialty side, for parties and also works great with the enchiladas is Guacamole.  Everyone seems to love my Guac for some reason.  Don't do anything too special with it, but it always turns out great.

Employee
Employee

Hot wings... Keto-ish style, no breading - just oils and seasonings. I always "wing" this, so the ingredients are approximate and to your own liking. It's the approach that matters.

Preheat oven to 375

Bake wings in a large cast iron pan or large cookie sheet (lightly greased) until about half way done (~30 min frozen, 20 min fresh/thawed)

Turn over wings, bake another 15 to 25 to nearly done.

While the wings are baking...

Melt 3-4 tbsp grass-fed butter (let cool it some)

In zip-lock bag, pour olive or avocado oil (a few tablespoons) and then any or all of the following:

• 2 to 4 tbsp Buffalo sauce (my preference is Texas Pete)
  • 1 tbsp Seasoning salt (preference is from Pampered Chef)
  • 2 tsp Garlic (fresh, from a jar, or dried)
  • 1 tbsp Onion seasoning mix (again, I like the stuff from Pampered Chef)
  • 1 tsp or less ghost pepper sauce (definitely optional - will kick it up a notch or three)
  • Add the slightly cool butter (should still be warm)

As I'm sure you gathered, you want a semi-runny sauce of butter, oil(s), and seasonings. It should be warm enough to coat but cool enough to mostly stick to the wings. The seasonings will act like breading (somewhat) and provide texture. If you want thicker sauce, then add cornmeal in increments of 1/2 tsp or pinch until desired thickness. Be sure to give it time to set (a few minutes) before adding another 1/2 tsp or pinch - do this sparingly; otherwise it will ruin the taste.

After the second period of baking, remove wings, let them slightly cool. Once cool enough to touch but still warm, toss the wings (2 to 5 at a time depending on the size of your zip-lock bag) in the bag until well coated. Place coated wings back in the cast iron or cookie sheet.

Bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes until done. This should make about 20 to 30 wings. Again, I wing this recipe every time. You may want extra sauce for dipping while eating for extra taste.

Enjoy! Be sure to have plenty of napkins available.

Employee
Employee

It's a deal Sarah Perrochat​!

Employee
Employee

Michele McKenna​ Another item that I'll be expecting the next time I'm in the office! Sarah Perrochat​ I hope you'll join us

Employee
Employee

So....all I seem to find is this selfie of Stephanie Nguyen​ and me but Tony you are in the background tending to the potatoes!

If anybody would like cooking lessons, be sure to reach out to your CAMs and CSMs - we are experts after our recent cooking class!

Employee
Employee

It looks like I'm going to have a lot of houses to visit...including yours! Yummy

Employee
Employee

It looks Yummy!

Pastry Chef mmajerus6
Pastry Chef

Khao Soi is my goto recipe this winter. It's a Thai comfort food that's commonly known as Chiang Mai Curry Noodles, but called Khao Soi in Thailand. It's not on all Thai restaurant menus, but if you can find it, I highly recommend it. This version was made with Tofu, but you can use any protein. Don't forget the crispy noodles on top and the extra dollop of Thai chili sauce!

Khao Soi Curry Noodle

IMG_20181224_191619 (Edited).jpg

bio-rad​ building_community​ thailand​

Pastry Chef mmajerus6
Pastry Chef

Lisa Mercer  I want to be in that kitchen. That looks like a lot of fun!!!

Employee
Employee

Hmm.....I'm thinking a Premier Cooking Class gathering???  Michele McKenna​ and Anita Sathyamurthy​  Let's talk!

Employee
Employee

You bring this and I'll bring cookies!  Deal? 

Employee
Employee

Scott Willis​ Do you ship to Indiana??  Sounds delicious!

Employee
Employee

I love to cook and to try new recipe's. I actually cook ('try' to cook) a new dish each month....

I have many favourites, but my two greatest achievements recently have been a Japanese cheesecake, and Gnocchi (from scratch & an authentic Italian way i was told) - and not together.

I love cooking the gnocchi as I learnt to make it in Italy....at a wine Vineyard/hotel in Piedmont....with an Italian chef. And wine of course. Was a great experience.

file-6.jpeg

Staff Chef richard_lewis
Staff Chef

Hi all, great engagement on this post! I am looking forward to you all sinking your teeth in to the new community when it is launched later this month with a similar appetite for posting .

Despite loving meat I have been aspiring to eat less of it this year for environmental/sustainability reasons.

(If you are interested in why this video explains it well: Why Meat is the Best Worst Thing in the World  - YouTube .)

This is one of my successes. I skipped the rice as it has sweet potato and lentils in it already so plenty to keep me going.

Dhal Curry from Delia Smith

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/asian/indian/dhal-curry

Curry.jpg

Regards, Richard

Employee
Employee

I have a homemade version from my husband's grandmother in India (who unfortunately passed away 2 years ago). Part of me wants to just save it or use it sparingly!

Employee
Employee

Yum! This looks delish and is one of my fav Indian Chinese dishes!

Employee
Employee

mmm Junior's is the BEST

Employee
Employee

Hi All,

One of my favorite things to cook is my butter basted half chickens over charcoal. I learned the recipe from my father, which is a series of spices, and constant basting with butter (also infused with the spices). The key is keeping a constant watch and also dousing flare ups from the basting to keep a good but not too much char on the skin. The result is tender, juicy, deliciousness and a full belly.

DC_Chicken.jpg

Employee
Employee

I love to cook. It makes me happy. It makes other people happy. It feeds my needs to both create and please at the same time.

My grandfather was Albanian and Spanakopita (Spinach Pie) was a holiday treat for us. This year, i tried my hand at it. Not nearly as delicious as my grandfather's, but tasty nonetheless.

thumbnail_IMG_4796.jpg

About the Author
You can usually find me posting on the Community, tweeting off the ServiceMax account, or telling some of our great customer stories.