Chatter Best Practises

Employee
Employee
3 8 306

Our field techs are very mobile, they travel across North America servicing Cell Network infrastructure ( towers etc.).  Our ServiceMax implementation was a major improvement in how we stay connected with this team.  We have dabbled in using Chatter as a social-style engagement platform, but are very interested in learning how other companies use it effectively.  I am open to any and all content and ideas on this topic.

8 Comments
Line Chef mimartin2015
Line Chef

Hello Gord, you are right to ask yourself this question, Chatter can have a positive effect on an organisation or just being perceived as unnecessary noise. The key lies in considering the set-up well, i.e. making decision as to what will trigger automated Chatter feeds and what should not. It will also be a good idea of having people concentrating on content delivery that is relevant for individual groups as you would for any other communication channel. As with anything if managers are quite active in Chatter the adoption and the perceived value tends to be higher. Hope this helps.

Employee
Employee

ServiceMax uses Chatter as well. The most useful aspect of Chatter for me is the breakdown of different user groups. Everyday I read the posting of all related questions to product set up and product strategy. I get an email summary report every morning that takes me 5-10 minutes to read and I feel like I am on the pulse of all our customers and outstanding projects.

Hope this helps! Gord Breese

Employee
Employee

Hi Wes,

Appreciate your perspective....very helpful!

Line Chef mimartin2015
Line Chef

Hi Gord,

I came across some websites you may find useful:

www.salesforce.com/chatterguide

www.facebook.com/Chatter

and a general search on 'Chatter Best Practice' will return a lot of useful material.

Good luck.

Mirjam

Grill Chef ats
Grill Chef

We use chatter in our organization quite extensively.  Almost 3 years ago when we started using Servicemax / Salesforce i was introduced to Chatter and knowing nothing about it and knowing it would be a challenge to get others interested I made a statement to all here.  It was something like, I dont know what chatter is, why it really exists, how we will use it and where we will go with it, but somehow someway we will be using it because it seems like it makes sense.   Yes a very odd statement.  But it needed to be odd to get people to buy in.

Here are the results - We have about 30-40 groups, some private and some public.  Some department oriented, some all company oriented, some role / position oriented, some serious and some fun.  We announce happenings with our company, employee anniversary's and birthdays, announce new employees to the company this way (in addition to face to face), we post happenings with Accounts to selected groups that would apply, we discuss process, policies and procedures as they are being developed (in private groups usually).

Over time something unique has happened.  And it was not "mandated" by the company.  Many, not all, post to the company or their groups what they are doing day to day, if they plan to be away from the office, whether meeting with clients and or working on a job or taking time off.  Its is an interesting thing.  All of the sudden people are sharing what they are doing instead of thinking big brother is watching and not wanting to tell.  Its creating more transparency.  More openness.  Almost as a bragging thing.  This is mostly happening with the younger, newer employees and less with the older / long term employees.  But one is somehow influencing the others.    

Some fun things are we have a "lighter side" group that is public and employees post non work related stuff or funny stuff, situations, etc.  We called it "lighter side" to try and provide some stress relief to those that want to share stories, laughs, links to funny things, etc.  They can talk about their vacation, things at home etc.  We also have a group for "lunch places" where we post local eateries and people comment on the meals and such.  Kind of our internal yelp.   We also have a group for fundraising and things like that where people can house fundraising things - company or personal, and invite others to join in. 

Some more info:

We do not use this for technicians yet.  However Im seriously considering it. They will all be using SF1 soon, and with that will come Chatter, and then i need to determine if they will even look at it.

Structuring it seems to be a big deal. I have spent a lot of time doing this part.  And i highly suggest you start small and then add and you start to get the flow.  You will need to determine what it should and should not be used for. 

I also spend a lot of time as a moderator of sorts.  People post things incorrectly, To all of the company when the target is really a couple groups. Trying to teach people how it works, flows etc.  Unfortunately when this is needed, it makes people gun shy to try again, because it is all public, so to speak.  Been working hard to minimize this and get everyone involved.

A big hurdle is EMAIL.  Everyone is so used to outlook / email and how that works, that many think its a waste of time and here is just another thing i need to deal with.  Very true statement.  Hard to overcome.  But doable.   Most are so used to setting up email groups or emailing 10 people who need to be involved and then replying all.

Love the instant chat feature - use it a lot.  Can tell if someone is on and active and what not.  Like the messages part, but that seems to have died out.  People tend to NOT like that.  So we use it periodically, but not consistently.

Learning the Sforce who sees what in chatter is also a key to keeping data / info organized and streaming to the correct people

Let me know if you are interested in talking or messaging reg it.  Im available to answer Q's.

Good luck with it.

Employee
Employee

A big thank you Antonio!  I really appreciate your candid and insightful experience using Chatter.  Definitely some great ideas here!

Gord

Employee
Employee

This is some great conversation! The other avenue that ServiceMax is driving towards is Product IQ to replace the Chatter functionality. This new technician communication tool and knowledge enablement app is going to revolutionize how our technicians interact with each other and access install base information. productiq​ chatter​ Colby LavinAmit Jain

Let me try and post something for you to review!

Employee
Employee

Here is the demonstration that may meet most of your CHATTER needs:

Video Link : 1218

About the Author
Linkedin Profile: ca.linkedin.com/in/gordbreese