Employee
Employee
1 1 579
‎04-23-2020 03:58 AM

In todays coffee break we mentioned the Cranfield University research on No Fault Found: "up to 15% of all work orders could have a No Fault Found (NFF) related underpinning cause". This triggered an immediate emotional response.

• Can't be that high
  • Research bias
  • Not in our industry
  • How do they measure something that is "hidden"

Good, excellent feedback. We hit a nerve. Whether the figure is right or not, that something is brewing is clear ... and it's not coffee.

Let's first dissect NFF into two components:

1. NFF on the resolution of the incident: Technician can’t replicate reported issue.
  2. NFF on the parts returned by the technician post incident: Technician used multiple parts to try to fix the equipment (trial & error). He returns the part that did not contribute to the resolution. Those parts have a broken seal, they have been taken out of the box and need inspection before reinsertion into the spares inventory.

Yesterday my wife came to me because she had a problem with her computer. Believe it or not, when I looked over her shoulder to replicate the issue everything worked fine. Frustrating, isn't it.

In a business context. A customer experience a server reset every morning. The systems log showed a down at 5:30 and a normal at 5:50. Nobody understood why. Technician visits during office hours were in vain ... until a technician decided to go in early and see what happened. He met the cleaner. Every day around 5:30 she plugged in the vacuum and after a while the vacuum tripped the circuit. On her way out she would reset the circuit.

How do you make these events visible? Do you encourage your technicians to report NFF? Do they close the work order or do they leave it open? Do you use reason-codes and text fields to capture the information, and most important, do you have people who analyse that data? It's all possible in our tools but you must prioritise it.

NFF.png

The second definition of NFF may not affect customers at first, but definitely has an impact on the cost-to-serve. Probably you will know one or two technicians in your workforce that have a habit of going in with multiple spare parts and exchange them trial and error to diagnose/ fix the problem. What happens with all those parts he is carrying? How do you manage it? What do you do with boxes that are opened, seal is broken, and that part did not fix the issue? Is that part now used or is it still new? Do you want the technician to keep it or does your supply chain function want to have it back? Who will 'judge' there is a NFF on that part?

May questions, no single answer ... but a trigger for you to be curious and start to investigate.

1 Comment
Line Chef
Line Chef

Saving up 15 to 20 percent of total service costs by resolving No Fault Found will be beneficial to any organization/company. Finding a solution should be set among company's priority tasks at https://proessays.org.

About the Author
As professional I believe D-Essence of business continuity and growth is bridging Sales and Service. I share my insights and ideas by giving presentations and writing Articles. Whenever the opportunity arises I Travel the globe to meet people and cultures.