Dispatch Console - Limit Technician List Based on Radius

Dispatch Console - Limit Technician List Based on Radius

On the Dispatch Console, there is a function to draw a radius on the map and see just those technician locations which fall within the chosen radius.  Once this radius is established, we would like the ability to limit the technician listing to that same set of technicians in the radius.  This would enable us to quickly view just those technician's schedules side-by-side and would eliminate all other technicians outside the radius.  This should work for any of the technician locations that the user chooses - either Home, Current, or Both.  Note:  This is a requirement for the revised Dispatch Console in Summer 16, which is the version we are moving to.

How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
Training is provided to do the most efficient searching of the technician listing possible.
Product Area?
Communities Scheduling & Dispatch
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 15
10 Comments
Employee
Employee

Susan Michel We have some functionality in Autumn 17 that might help with your situation.  The 'Find Technicians' (for a specific work order) functionality that filters the Gantt based on the text in the search field (normally populated by clicking a WO in the grid, but you can also edit the text in this field manually).

This functionality also populates the map with the same technicians returned in your filtered list, with the capability to filter those shown on the map with an additional radius (from the WO selected) filter.  So, if you have a WO that is driving your point from which to draw the radius, then you can both show that radius on the map, and filter the techs that are shown to just those within that radius.

I hope this helps with your issues, but it's a bit unclear from your post whether it solves them all or not.

Very Best,

-Dan

Sushi Chef susanbmichel
Sushi Chef

It sounds like the solution you described solves our issue. We will be moving to Autumn 17 in early 2018, so I will definitely test this functionality out and let you know if it works as we need it to. If it does, I will have some very happy dispatchers. Thank you for the feedback on this.

Product Team
Product Team

The upcoming Service Board scheduled to be released in 19.1 will provide functionality similar to Google Maps, in that focusing on a certain area on the map (i.e. zooming in) will show only the technicians within the visible section zoomed in on. Because of this, the radius functionality will no longer be necessary for Service Board. 

Sushi Chef susanbmichel
Sushi Chef

I will need to think about the removal of the radius. If I am understanding your comment, the team will see a square/rectangle zoom area rather than a circular radius. I think that sounds OK but we will explore that as part of beta testing.

It doesn't really solve our issue of narrowing the listing of technician calendars based on who is in the radius. If you are saying that if I am zoomed in on the service board that I will ONLY see the technician calendars of those that are visible on the zoom, great. Otherwise I still have the issue. Do you know if the service board gives us this functionality?

Thank you,

Susan Michel

Customer Success Team

@lacy_cotton   Can you please provide an answer to @susanbmichel 's question?

Product Team
Product Team

Hi @susanbmichel & @lisa_mercer ,

So, just for clarity, there won't be an outline of a square/rectangle space on the screen that equates what the radius is. The radius will simply be whatever portion of the map is visible on the screen at the time of the search. This is how google maps does their search as well. 

Regarding your question of "if I am zoomed in on the service board that I will ONLY see the technician calendars of those that are visible on the zoom," I think that won't apply on Service Board because the Map will be located on a separate tab from the technician calendars. CCing @mayhul to confirm.

Moving forward, we are planning to introduce the ability to zoom the map in and update the jobs list and resource list (on the map's left panel) accordingly, but that won't be available just yet. 

I hope this helps, 

Lacy Cotton-Hodgson

Sushi Chef susanbmichel
Sushi Chef

Hi @lacy_cotton . Thank you for your response. The most important thing for us is to have the ability to see calendars for only those technicians plotted on the map. Even if these are in separate tabs, we still want them to be in sync.

Imagine a list of 120 technicians in the calendar/gantt chart. I have narrowed it down to 3 technicians on the map based on location. I don't want to have to flip to the calendar to search for those 3 names to see their schedule. I'd like to see all three calendars side-by-side to make the determination of whom to assign the work order to. Today it is difficult to search down the list manually based on what is in the radius.

It sounds like the Service Board doesn't really solve this problem either. I would be interested to know when that might be available. I see it as a significant time saver and an important way to best understand schedules and distance at the same time.

Susan

cc @lisa_mercer @terrikennelly 

Product Team
Product Team

@susanbmichel - Thanks for the clarification.  I better understand your use case now.  Couple of comments/questions: 

1) Scheduling on Maps - Our goal in 19.3 and 20.1 is to have the ability for the dispatcher to schedule directly from Maps or atleast be provided a natural/easy flow (if it needs to back to Scheduler).  I think this aligns better with what you are thinking above. 

2) Next Steps - Would it be at all possible for myself and our UX designers to do a 20-30 minute call with one of your dispatchers and watch them in context here?  We can then take that input into our design for Scheduling on Maps.   

cc: @riordan_reyes  @malik_khan 

Customer Success Team

@mayhul  @susanbmichel   Susan - If a call is possible please let me know and I can help coordinate.  Thanks!

Sushi Chef susanbmichel
Sushi Chef

@mayhul , thank you for your willingness to meet with us! I will work with @lisa_mercer to set up some time.

Susan