Dispatch Console does not Protect Privacy of Events

Dispatch Console does not Protect Privacy of Events

The Dispatch Console will show all SalesForce Calendar Event information even if the user marked it private. This is a major laws and regulations violation as in many countries such information is protected by law. The Dispatch Console should be correct ASAP as it could be breaking laws by showing events marked as private only as blocked and obscure any details of such events subject and content!

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
Conform with Privacy Laws of various countries and protect private information of Technicians.
How is the problem being addressed today, if at all?
No Solution.
Product Area?
Communities Scheduling & Dispatch
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
8 Comments
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Sandeep Reddy Musku​, Yannick Tisserand​, Anas AIDOUNI​, Margo CAULLERY​, Anita D'Souza​, Yassine AIT OUKHADOU​, Vishnu Chandrasekar​,

This is a major issue that we are facing today on the Outlook integration. Could you please vote for this idea?

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Not Planned

Hi @jeroen_schwankh, thanks for your feedback. This is certainly a problem, but unfortunately not one that we can solve in ServiceMax. DC1 does not support the concept of "private events", i.e. events whose details are only visible to the owner, and neither does Service Board. We recommend to look for a solution at the interface between Outlook and SFDC: private events should not be imported with full details, but only as a time blocker. That approach would protect the privacy of whatever is shown in DC1 or Service Board.

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

I don't believe that to be true. Private events have a checkbox. Dispatch Console and Service Board can read the checkbox an obscure the details and subject of the private event just like salesforce does. And that is what we need, we do not want servicemax to violate privacy laws which it is doing now.

Product Team
Product Team

Hi @jeroen_schwankh, what we are saying is that this issue could be solved if the details of private events were not even brought into SFDC. Those events could be imported as empty time blockers. This is a change that needs to happen on the add-on or plugin that you use to integrate with Outlook. Have you looked into that option yet?

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

I understand but it feels like you are providing a work around. Uses can also directly create private calendar items in salesforce. And not all users know how to adjust their calendar items individually to not sync and it would then also show that they are available. 

I want the dispatch console to respect private items that exist and I believe it is possible by the way I described.

IF(Private="True","", Subject)

IF(Private="True","", Description)

etc. Fairly simple

Product Team
Product Team

Thanks @jeroen_schwankh, I understand your proposal. Unfortunately it is not that straightforward (e.g. the Private flag is currently supported by SFDC Events but not by SVMX Events), and we also need to rank this change against all other items we are working on.

Just to clarify, my suggestion was not to stop importing Private events. It was to look into your Outlook integration (what do you use to import events?) and see if there is a chance to "clear" the content of Private events while they are being imported.

In the meantime we will also further investigate internally. It's possible that we will eventually support this behavior in Service Board, but very unlikely that we will be able to enhance DC1 as well.

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Product Team Review

Further internal investigation ongoing. The initial findings are that we may be able to eventually support this but only in Service Board and only for Salesforce Events.

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: On The Roadmap

Planning to eventually support private events in Service Board. Tentatively 19.3/20.1.