Plotting miles and time between techs and work orders

Plotting miles and time between techs and work orders

It would be nice to gauge the time and distance between techs and work orders so that better expectations can be set with customers and technicians

What is the underlying problem do you intend to solve with this idea?
This will reduce techs having to research routes and distance. It would also help dispatchers to have good start dates and times for the techs.
Product Area?
Communities Returns Management & Depot Repair Scheduling & Dispatch
What version of ServiceMax are you on?
Summer 16
5 Comments
Employee
Employee

heather strangeflower

This is an interesting idea, but it would help if you can specify at what point in the business process you are hoping to see this information.  Some examples listed below, please add your intended meaning if your intent is not listed:

1. Today, we already have functionality which allows you to click on a given technician on the calendar and choose 'Route technician's day'.  You can then scroll through the days shown in the Calendar below to view routes on the map:
    1. Would you want this route view to include the distance and estimated drive time for each WO somewhere on/near the map view which shows the route?
  2. When you choose a Work Order (WO) on the work order grid in the dispatch console, run the technician search, then click on one of the technician balloons that appears on the filtered map view of tech locations.  In this case, would you want to show:
    1. Distance/time between Tech's current GPS location and WO location?
    2. Distance/time between tech's home address and WO location?
  3. When you drag and drop a WO onto the calendar of a technician.   This would likely show:
    1. If the tech has at least one earlier job on the calendar on selected day - distance/drive time returned by google between previous job and dropped job (using time of day traffic data for travel at that time of day)
    2. If the tech has no earlier job on the day selected - distance/drive time returned by google between tech's home address and dropped WO (using time of day traffic data for travel at that time of day)
  4. Some other point in the process?
Grill Chef
Grill Chef

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for reaching out! Could you show me where the “Route Technician’s Day” is- I do not see that in the Dispatch Console but would love to investigate.

Option 2 best fits my intended meaning. We would like to be able to see miles and time to be able to schedule the technician appropriately- if they are 3 hours from the work order location we wouldn’t want to schedule them at 8 AM kind of scenario.

2. When you choose a Work Order (WO) on the work order grid in the dispatch console, run the technician search, then click on one of the technician balloons that appears on the filtered map view of tech locations. In this case, would you want to show:

• Distance/time between Tech's current GPS location and WO location?

• Distance/time between tech's home address and WO location?

As for the distance and time I would like both! I would like to be able to determine between any 2 points I select and see the time and distance. If I only had one option though I would go for option 2- the Distance/time between tech's home address and WO location.

If option 2 is not something that could be put into process then option 3 could be a feasible workaround.

Happy to discuss further! Thank you for reaching out and taking the time!

Heather Strangeflower

Senior Manager, Field Planning & Analysis

phone: 781.292.1163

mobile: 508.864.1982

hstrangeflower@enservio.com

www.enservio.com<http://www.enservio.com/>

enservio<http://www.enservio.com/>

For immediate assistance, our

Contents Consultant Team is

available M-F, 8-8 (EST) at

Employee
Employee

Hi heather strangeflower, I hope the image below helps to answer your question about how to Route a tech's day.  Unfortunately, it isn't appearing inline, but if you click, you should be able to download it and view it locally on your computer.  Sorry for the technical confusion there.

DC - How to route techs day.tiff

As an update, my scenarios were not well structured, given that in the newer versions of the DC, we already offer the ability to choose whether to show technician location balloons on the map when running technician search for 'Home', 'Current Location', or 'Both'.  So, if we allowed you to see drive time and distance when clicking on a 'Technician Balloon', we would actually be giving you feature 2.1 and 2.2 from my original question.   (You could get distance from either a tech current location balloon, or a tech home location balloon).

With that clarification in mind, I have attempted to summarize your request as I understand it:

Primary Request:

When you choose a Work Order (WO) on the work order grid in the dispatch console, run the technician search, then click on one of the technician balloons that appears on the filtered map view of tech locations.  In this case, would you want to show:

1. When clicking a current location balloon: Distance/time between Tech's current GPS location and WO location?
  2. When clicking a home address balloon: Distance/time between tech's home address and WO location?

Secondary Request:

When you drag and drop a WO onto the calendar of a technician.   You would like it to show:

1. If the tech has at least one earlier job on the calendar on selected day - distance/drive time returned by google between previous job and dropped job (using time of day traffic data for travel at that time of day)
  2. If the tech has no earlier job on the day selected - distance/drive time returned by google between tech's home address and dropped WO (using time of day traffic data for travel at that time of day)

Please just confirm that this is your request so that people know exactly what they are voting for, or reply with whatever corrections are needed to properly define your request.

Thanks!

Grill Chef
Grill Chef

This is perfectly written Mr. Bennett.

Thank you for your time and attention to this!

Please let me know what else I can do to get this into play!

Heather Strangeflower

Senior Manager, Field Planning & Analysis

phone: 781.292.1163

mobile: 508.864.1982

hstrangeflower@enservio.com

www.enservio.com<http://www.enservio.com/>

enservio<http://www.enservio.com/>

For immediate assistance, our

Contents Consultant Team is

available M-F, 8-8 (EST) at

Product Team
Product Team
Status changed to: Delivered

With release 19.3 Service Board covers all the scenarios described below.

• Before scheduling a job, you can use Recommended Resources to see not only who is most qualified, but also who's closest to the job location. 
  • When scheduling job, the system automatically calculates the expected driving time.
  • After planning a technician's day, the route can be visualized on the map with a breakdown of distance and time for each segment.

Hence marking as Delivered.