cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispatch Console Access, but View Only?

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Dispatch Console Access, but View Only?

Hi - Is it possible within Spring '16 to grant access to the Dispatch Console, but have it as a 'View Only' - No permissions to add, edit, move WO's?

Message 1 of 9
0 Likes
8 Replies
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Re: Dispatch Console Access, but View Only?

Hi Paul, it depends on what tasks the users need to do outside of the dispatch console. Do they need to do other tasks with Work Orders and a Salesforce and ServiceMax events? Depending on the reply to this you could adjust object level access and/or field level security. 

For example Read Only access to Work Order or Read Only access to the start and end fields on Event. 

Another possibility is a validation rule to achieve similar for events associated to work orders. 

I am not aware of any ServiceMax functionality that lets you designate a user as having Read Only access to the dispatch console. 

Regards,

Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 2 of 9
0 Likes
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Thanks Richard - The user would not require any other function for the WO's.

Message 3 of 9
0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Paul, Do you use Salesforce or ServiceMax Events?

I suggest the first thing to try in your test system is to clone the profile the user is using and set the work order object settings to be view only.

If this doesnt work then I can advise further based on your answer to my question.

Regards, Richard

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Message 4 of 9
0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Paul Cross , any updates on this? Did you manage to resolve your issue?

If you did then please mark an answer correct or mark the question assumed answered to help other community users navigate and find the answers to their questions.

Regards, Richard

Message 5 of 9
0 Likes
Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Hi Richard,

Thanks again for the response and apologies for my delay.

We use Servicemax Events (Work Orders).

Could you please advise the navigation steps to edit the Work Order Object Settings to View Only

Message 6 of 9
0 Likes
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Paul Cross, you need to identify the Salesforce Profile that is assigned to the users you want to change the access for. When you change it the change will apply for ALL of the users who have that profile assigned. You can find it in the Profile field on one of their User records. If you aren't familiar with editing  Salesforce profiles then be careful when editing it as you can control a lot of functionality from here and potentially break a lot of functionality. ALWAYS use a Sandbox for this before making any changes in Production.

Edit Object Permissions in Profiles

Object permissions specify the type of access that users have to objects.

Available in: Salesforce Classic and Lightning Experience
Available in: Contact Manager, Professional, Group, Enterprise, Performance, Unlimited, Developer, and Database.comEditions

User Permissions Needed
To view object permissions:View Setup and Configuration
To edit object permissions:Manage Profiles and Permission Sets

AND

Customize Application

1. From Setup:
    • Enter Profiles in the Quick Find box, then select Profiles
  2. Select the profile you found above.
  3. Depending on which interface you're using, do one of the following:
    • Enhanced profile user interface—In the Find Settings... box, enter the name of the object and select it from the list. Click Edit, then scroll to the Object Permissions section.
    • Original profile user interface—Click Edit, then scroll to the Custom Object Permissions section.
    • Find the ServiceMax Events Object. 
  4. Specify the object permissions.
  5. Click Save.

If this doesnt work then revert the changes and try instead for the Work Order Object. If that doesn't work then try for both ServiceMax Events and Work Order at the same time.

Let us know how you get on with this and if you need further guidance on how to get to these settings.

Consider your other use cases for these users that relate to ServiceMax Events and Work Order and TEST all of them :-)

Regards, Richard

Message 7 of 9
0 Likes
Retired

This information s also contained in another post on the same subject:

View/Read Only for Dispatch Console

Message 8 of 9
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Hi Paul, I found this idea that is for a future solution to this issue that you can move to use once its available. The other replies on this thread cover workarounds you can use until then.

Regards, Richard

Message 9 of 9
0 Likes