Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dispatch a Service Tool Along with a Technician

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Dispatch a Service Tool Along with a Technician

Jump to solution

Hello,

We have 2 or 3 service tools that are around $50K a piece and we ship these tools to Technicians for specific Jobs.  I thought I had seen some article on the community about how to manage these types of tools and dispatch them to a Technician on specific Service Visits.  If anyone is aware of how to accomplish this or can find an article that might help give me some insight into this process I would appreciate it..   Thanks.

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Re: Dispatch a Service Tool Along with a Technician

Jump to solution

Hello Casey Palmer. We don't actually 'dispatch' equipment through the console, but we do add the equipment to a service team and tag it as a 'Shared Tool'. We also have a lookup to a technician on these tools so that we know who that shared tool is 'Assigned To' as it moves across technicians within the same team. We also have a related list on the work order which tracks the tools used for a particular work order. This works from a tracking perspective, but it's not the best way to manage tools from a planning perspective as it's not associated to a work order until the technician has done the work. So a tool manager wouldn't see where the tool needed to be used for work orders in the future.

However, it might be possible based on how SMax recommends entering equipment into the system and using the multiple assignment feature in the dispatch console. Per the SMax user-manual page 313:

"Since Dispatch Console supports scheduling Work Orders to equipment, you can also define groups of equipment (tools and machinery) that have scheduling requirements in your service delivery.

Setting Up Equipment

To enable scheduling of equipment through Dispatch Console, create one or more Service Teams with Record Type as

Equipment. Add all equipment as Service Team members. Make sure the name of the equipment identifies the

machinery/tool uniquely. A recommended practice is to use an asset tag or serial number along with the name/type of the

equipment. To track the equipment calendar, make sure the record is not linked to a Salesforce user and the Enable

Scheduling checkbox is checked."

Once you have the Equipment service team created, I wonder if you could use the multi-assignment functionality in the DC to assign a work order to both your technician service team and also your equipment service team. That way you would see that the tool is 'dispatched' to a specific job over a specific period of time. I haven't tested this yet, but it might be worth taking some time to play with that feature. Tip: make sure your equipment is both Active and Enable Dispatching is set to true to see it in the DC.

Let me know if this works for you. I'd be interested for future implementations!

View solution in original post

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Hello Casey Palmer. We don't actually 'dispatch' equipment through the console, but we do add the equipment to a service team and tag it as a 'Shared Tool'. We also have a lookup to a technician on these tools so that we know who that shared tool is 'Assigned To' as it moves across technicians within the same team. We also have a related list on the work order which tracks the tools used for a particular work order. This works from a tracking perspective, but it's not the best way to manage tools from a planning perspective as it's not associated to a work order until the technician has done the work. So a tool manager wouldn't see where the tool needed to be used for work orders in the future.

However, it might be possible based on how SMax recommends entering equipment into the system and using the multiple assignment feature in the dispatch console. Per the SMax user-manual page 313:

"Since Dispatch Console supports scheduling Work Orders to equipment, you can also define groups of equipment (tools and machinery) that have scheduling requirements in your service delivery.

Setting Up Equipment

To enable scheduling of equipment through Dispatch Console, create one or more Service Teams with Record Type as

Equipment. Add all equipment as Service Team members. Make sure the name of the equipment identifies the

machinery/tool uniquely. A recommended practice is to use an asset tag or serial number along with the name/type of the

equipment. To track the equipment calendar, make sure the record is not linked to a Salesforce user and the Enable

Scheduling checkbox is checked."

Once you have the Equipment service team created, I wonder if you could use the multi-assignment functionality in the DC to assign a work order to both your technician service team and also your equipment service team. That way you would see that the tool is 'dispatched' to a specific job over a specific period of time. I haven't tested this yet, but it might be worth taking some time to play with that feature. Tip: make sure your equipment is both Active and Enable Dispatching is set to true to see it in the DC.

Let me know if this works for you. I'd be interested for future implementations!

View solution in original post

Pastry Chef
Pastry Chef

Jump to solution

Copying ServiceMax Knowledge  to validate this possible solution.

Highlighted
Retired
Retired

Jump to solution

Online help provides details and fields available for a technician / equipment here.

The scenario outlined seems like it would work because essentially you are scheduling equipment as if it were a technician.  I would recommend testing in sandbox.  I will test as well and report back here.

Line Chef
Line Chef

Jump to solution

As a partner with ServiceMax our solution focuses on the execution work that the service agent needs to do to solve the problem.  TEAMS will identify during the diagnoses process what skills, material and special tools are needed before the dispatch.  The the dispatch packet that ServiceMax identified as the assigned engineer would include; what steps or work was done before they were assigned, what tools and parts should be available on-site and the a detailed Plan of Action (Guided Troubleshooting Steps) to resolve the issue.  Thus you can be assured of a First On-site resolution.

Fry Chef
Fry Chef

Jump to solution

Dear Casey,

We have hot spare kits in our organisation and we track this kit in the dispatch console.

We added these Kits as a technician in Service Max.

When we ship a Kit for a service visit we created an event and related to a case number.

Kind regards

Heiko

Sushi Chef
Sushi Chef

Jump to solution

Sorry for delay in reply..  I believe this will work for use.. We are setting up for the review by the business users but I think it should do fine.  Thanks again for the help.

~If my post was useful, please give me a thumbs up! Mark correct answers as 'solutions' so we can all find answers faster!~
Staff Chef
Staff Chef

Jump to solution

Hi Casey Palmer​, did this option work for you?

Regards, Richard

0 Likes