Anyone experiencing issues with duplicate lines being created for labour. I would love to know what causes this so we can avoid doing it.
Servicemax Spring 14 Version 14.31.025
Is this occurring with the iPad app? if so, this was fixed in the Summer 14 release
Duplicate records get created on sync when a record which fails to sync because of a server error is updated again from the client.
John, this is a different issue. Duplicates in current releases still happen often with most customers, the main root cause of the issue is the configuration sync being out of date. With Spring '15 proving config sync reports, this should make it a little easier tracking who in the field missed the last config sync.
I have not had a chance to test this out. I will let you know. Previously I noticed the issue is more difficult to replicate in a test environment than live where you will have a significant more volume of records being processed. When I begin testing I will test the stereotypical situations ( connection cut-off mid sync, poor connection, etc.) where we see duplicates and let you know what I find.
I think it was also mentioned that validation/sync conflicts that are then later cleared can also create duplicates - as somehow it gets stored in a temp table twice or whatever - cant figure out where i saw that though
Winter 15 helped a lot - but we are still seeing 2-3 instances per day. Have not tested Spring, but agree with stephen hard to reproduce in test environment.
What we did is built a couple formula fields that look like this:
-Duplicate audit rollup summary on WO Header = count of WD's where type = "Labor"
-Then a workflow where, if status = Closed and Audit Count >1, status = Audit
Then rinse and repeat for travel, Billable parts, etc.
Large amount are "false positives" but i would rather clear out an audit log than risk double billing a customer - since customer time/perception is more valuable than our own internally - at least thats how we do things here
We are one Summer 14 release, and we still see the issue, though nothing like in the numbers we used to; for us it seems the problem is related to the relatively poor connection speeds our users often experience, and hence slow sync speeds.
Our work around is to use the app in offline mode as much as we can, though when we originally tried this work around, while on the Spring 14 version that you are on, it was disaster, with every visit having duplicate lines. Since upgrading to Summer 14, with the fix as mentioned by John, going offline is now a viable method to avoid the sync issues that are caused by poor connectivity.
We saw this on Spring 14 and we are still seeing this on Winter 15.
They have advised that it is defect SMX014876.
Their Technical Team is looking into and will update once they hear back from our Technical Team.
This issue still occurs for us as well. I agree with Russel that using the app offline and reducing the number of sync events from happening will help reduce duplicates, but will not completely prevent them.
A big cause for this is technicians not doing configuration syncs often enough or the sync being cut off due to poor connectivity or the technician shutting off the iPad mid-sync.
A recommendation would be to create a duplicate line item audit using a combination of roll-up fields and workflows. Any suspect work orders can be put into an audit status for manual review, it is time consuming but it is better than the alternative of having duplicate entries go to your ERP system and having to issue credits to customers, adjust inventory, and other issues that result.
We use our middle-ware system to capture and escalate WO's with duplicates on them, and since making some improvements in the download set up, and starting to trial offline where possible onsite, we are getting around 1-2% of WO having a duplicate line.
The last release of the Smx iPad Summer 14 app, had a specific fix for us, there was an issue in creating service reports offline, so now we are telling all our users in the field to use offline on site all the time, while on site, and it will be interesting to see if this has an effect on the number of duplicates we are getting.
Has anyone had resolve to this issue. Seem like i am not getting any answers back in my case regarding it and it seems the conversation has stopped. We look at all work orders / details manually anyhow, it is just causing many many hoursof wasted time.
see my answer to dan farther up the thread - we were able to cut down our daily audit time using a handful of rollup fields and a workflow
If would like more detail let me know - Stephen l helped me build it as well so he can also attest to how much time it saved