AnsweredAssumed Answered

Who will service the billions of IoT devices? - IoT Now - How to run an IoT enabled business

Question asked by Mark Homer Employee on Jan 29, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 by Wes Connors

Who will service the billions of IoT devices? - IoT Now - How to run an IoT enabled business

IoT Now - How to run an IoT enabled business

In less than five years, Gartner tells us that there will be more than 26 billion different connected devices in our homes, cars and businesses. All design

The Internet of Things is on everyone's mind, and I enjoyed reading the discussion here on the community Predictions for the New Year: Internet of Things in 2016.

I'd like to add another question to the conversation: What effect will the emergence of the Internet of Things have on your workforce? What effect is it having today?

In this article, I make the case that a number of things will change as machine to machine learning, cloud adoption, 3D printing, and other technological advances changes the landscape of field service. 

The next generation of service techs will be very adept at sensor and radio detection technology. As miniaturisation of sensors embedded into devices becomes more integral, it will create much more demand for analytical skills. For example, rather than trouble-shooting an isolated piece of equipment, techs could soon be trouble-shooting entire buildings. And as this proactive service model gains momentum, companies will naturally move to outcome-based service offerings for the growing number of smart, connected devices they provide.

How are things changing today in your field service workforce? 

How do you enable new employees to succeed and develop the right skills for your business?

Shared with Jive Anywhere

Outcomes